February Birthstones: Traditional and Alternative Symbols of Love and Strength
February is the month of love and affection. What better way to celebrate it than by exploring the birthstones that symbolize love, strength, and protection? The two traditional birthstones for the month are Amethyst and Violet Sapphire. But if you are seeking something unique, there are several alternative birthstones to choose from.
Let’s take a closer look at the history, meaning, and benefits of traditional February birthstones and the most popular alternatives.
Amethyst: A Gemstone of Sobriety and Protection
Amethyst is a well-known birthstone for February. It ranges in color from a pale to a stunningly deep purple color and has been treasured for centuries. In ancient times, it was used to adorn religious and royal artifacts. The word “amethyst” comes from the Greek word “amethystos,” meaning “not drunk.” It was believed to protect the wearer from drunkenness and other negative behaviors. Amethyst is a variety of quartz, formed from silicon dioxide. Its purple hue comes from the presence of iron and other trace elements. The most sought-after amethysts are a deep, rich purple with flashes of red and blue, making them a unique and captivating addition to any jewelry collection.
Aside from its historical significance, amethyst is also thought to have powerful healing properties. It is believed to promote sobriety, reduce stress and anxiety, and provide a peaceful and calming energy. Wearing amethyst is said to enhance intuition and awareness, making it a popular choice for those seeking growth and insight.
Learn more about amethyst HERE
Violet Sapphire: A Gemstone of Love and Strength
Violet Sapphire is a rare and beautiful gemstone that is often overlooked as a February birthstone. It is similar to the well-known blue sapphire, but it boasts a unique shade of violet. Violet sapphires are found in very few locations worldwide, including Sri Lanka and Madagascar, and are highly sought after for their beauty and rarity.
Symbolizing love and strength this stone is believed to bring these qualities to the wearer. Violet Sapphire is said to promote emotional stability, provide protection against negative energies, and bring good luck and prosperity. It is also thought to enhance intuition, making them another great choice for those seeking growth and enlightenment.
Alternative Birthstones for February
What if neither of the traditional birthstones for the month particularly “speak” to you? Luckily, there are several other options to choose from.
Some of the most popular alternatives include:
- Bloodstone: Dark green with red flecks, this gemstone is believed to bring courage, strength, and good luck. It is also said to protect against negative energies and promote healing. Learn more about bloodstone HERE
- Onyx: A black gemstone that is believed to bring strength, protection, and grounding to the wearer, it is also said to promote wisdom and happiness.
- Moonstone: Coming in many different colors including gray, brown, yellow, peach, and transparent, this beautiful iridescent gemstone, flashes shades of blue. It is believed to bring good fortune, love, and protection, enhance intuition and promote self-discovery. Learn more about moonstone HERE
- Rock Crystal: This clear gemstone is believed to enhance clarity, focus, and awareness. It is also said to bring peace and calmness.
- Labradorite: This beautiful layered stone refracts light. Although it usually is gray, it flashes iridescent, green, coppery red, purple, peacock blue, or gold. It is believed to bring strength, protection, and good luck and is said to enhance intuition and promote self-discovery. Learn more about labradorite HERE
All of the options are beautiful gemstones with unique properties and meanings.
What is your favorite February birthstone? Drop us a comment and let us know how you use it.